Sony today took the wraps off the world’s lightest 8-inch netbook – the new VAIO® P Series. According to the company’s press release, the Vaio P is the size of a business envelope and roughly as thin as a cell phone, weighs just 1.4 pounds and is small enough to slip into a jacket pocket or handbag. The netbook will be available ins a series of colors including garnet red, emerald green, onyx black, crystal white and classic black.
Here are some of the key features:
- High-resolution, 1600 x 768, LED backlit 8-inch ultra-wide display (diagonal), making it easy to view everything from entire spreadsheets to full web pages- no side-to-side scrolling necessary.
- Sony’s XBRITE-ECO™ LCD technology, producing images in brilliant detail for razor-sharp viewing.
- Built-in wireless WAN 3G Mobile Broadband, 802.11n wi-fi and Bluetooth technologies.
- Up to four hours of battery life with the included standard capacity battery and eight hours with the large capacity battery.
- An instant-mode option that launches directly into Sony’s Xross Media Bar™ interface–rapidly boot up and access music, video, photos and the Web.
- A built-in webcam.
- Windows Vista®.
The VAIO P Series Lifestyle PC will retail for about $900. It will be available for pre-orders Thursday online. It will also be sold at Sony Style® stores starting later this month and at other major retailers around the country beginning in February.
To see photos and learn more about the world’s lightest netbook, visit Sony’s website.
Source: Sony press release (1/7/2009)